Dr. Michael Maher has dedicated his career to positively impacting the lives of children throughout North Carolina. Not only is he an experienced educator, Michael is the candidate with the most experience in building effective educational programs and educational policy. He is the leader we need to drive the positive changes necessary to support and improve public education for the children, families, and teachers of North Carolina.
Listen to Michael's story:
As the son of a railroad worker who attended under resourced public K-12 schools, Maher fully grasped the importance of education when he became a first-generation college student. Less than 10% of his high school class went to college. Because there were teachers throughout his life who had a profound impact on him, Maher chose to become a teacher. As a teacher, Maher knew he would impact the lives of thousands of students.
After teaching high school science in Forsyth and Wake counties, Maher moved to a university career at Saint Augustine’s University, and then to N.C. State University in an administrative role. As the assistant dean of professional education at N.C. State, he was able to work with talented professionals to develop one of the most effective teacher preparation programs in the nation. As a teacher educator, Maher knew he would impact the lives of thousands of teachers who teach thousands of students.
Maher currently serves as the president of the North Carolina Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators and also serves as vice chairman of the North Carolina Professional Educator Preparation and Standards Commission. He’s also on the board of directors of the American Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators. Through his service with these organizations, Maher has directly impacted public education by collaborating with others to develop programs and policies that positively impact teachers and students. As state superintendent, Maher knows he would impact tens of thousands of educators who impact the lives of millions of students.
Michael and his wife Catherine, married more than 20 years, met at Belmont Abbey College in Belmont, NC. After graduation, Michael began his education career as a science teacher at (Robert B.) Glenn High School in Kernersville, NC while Catherine attended graduate school at Wake Forest University Bowman Gray School of Medicine. The Drs. Maher live in the town of Wake Forest with their two daughters who attend a public school in Wake County.
Michael Maher has dedicated his career to positively impacting the lives of children throughout North Carolina. Not only is Michael an experienced educator, he is the candidate with the most experience in building effective educational programs and educational policy. He is the leader we need to drive the positive changes necessary to support and improve public education for the children, families, and teachers of North Carolina.
- Assistant Professor in Teacher Education, Saint Augustine’s University
- Faculty member in the College of Education, N.C. State University
- Assistant Dean of Professional Education, N.C. State University
PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER
- Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools
- Wake County Public School System
- Vice Chair, NC Professional Educator Preparation and Standards Commission
- Policy Fellow and Senior Fellowships, Institute for Educational Leadership
STATE AND NATIONAL ADVOCATE
- President, NC Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators
- Board of Directors, American Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators
- Chair, Advisory Council of State Representatives
- UNC System Educator Preparation Advisory Group
- North Carolina State Superintendent’s Ethics Advisory Panelp
- North Carolina Race to the Top Educator Effectiveness workgroup
- NC Department of Public Instruction Program Approval workgroup
- NC State Multidisciplinary Studies Degree Committee
- NC State Global Perspectives Certificate Committee
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education. (AACTE)
- North Carolina Association of Colleges and Teacher Educators (NC-ACTE)
- Association for Moral Education (AME)
Sure, his credentials are impressive. But where does Maher 2020 stand on the issues that matter? Get his stance on all the educational hot topics – from diversity and inclusion to charter schools, testing and vouchers.
Michael Maher plans to hit the ground running as State Superintendent. Learn how he plans to make NC a leader in public education by focusing on strategic priorities that place an emphasis on equity, excellence, and innovation.